Let me first start by saying this is much more expensive than a lightbulb. With that in mind, the Solatube is 1/2 light bulb and 1/2 skylight. It uses the suns rays to produce an indoor light in almost any place. We picked one of these up online at DwellSmart.com. They come in 10″ and 14″ diameter however the salesperson I spoke to at my local Green Depot said the 14″ solatubes are mostly for commercial use. I’ve seen this product installed in a few homes on HGTV. We decided to try it out in our spare bathroom that has no windows on the 2nd floor. I’ll post pictures in the next few days.
Why Purchase A Tubular Daylighting Device?
- It provides as much light as you would expect from a skylight many times its size.
- It is cost-effective. Tubular Daylighting Devices cost considerably less than other daylighting options, such as windows and skylights, including both product and installation costs.
- Installing it is fast, clean and easy. They require no structural reframing, tunneling, drywalling or painting. A professional can install the product in less than two hours and most Do-It-Yourselfers can finish the project in one day.
- It can go almost anywhere. The compact and flexible design of TDDs allow them to be installed in just about any room, including rooms without direct roof access and smaller spaces where daylighting would usually not be an option.
- It is “Green.” TDDs allow you to switch off electric lights during the day, which provides savings on energy bills and also reduces environmental pollution.
- It is actually good for you. It has been shown in several prominent studies that increasing daily exposure to natural light can enhance mental and physical well-being, boost concentration and energy levels and a variety of other unexpected perks.